Posted By @ Oct 14th 2021 8:15am In: Southwest Missouri Realty
If you live in the Midwest, you know that our weather can change quite drastically. Once Winter hits, our utilities bill can skyrocket if we don't take the right steps to prevent that from happening. City Utilities of Springfield MO made an announcement that makes taking these precautions even more important this year. They expect natural gas prices to double. You can read more details about the anticipated price increase here.
To help you save money this Winter, here are some things you can do to help keep those utility bills stay down. Many of these to-do's are very affordable and just require planning ahead.
1) Lower the temperature on your water heater to 125 degrees.
2) Check for leaks around doors and windows and use caulk or weather-stripping to prevent drafts.
3) Use the cold water setting on your washing machine.
4) Program your thermostat to lower the temperature while you are sleeping or away at work.
5) Turn off lights and appliances when not in use
6) Get all the fuzzy blankets you want this year and snuggle up.
7) Try to keep your thermostat set at or below 68 degrees.
8) Open your curtains on sunny days.
9) Wait as long as you can to turn on your heater this year.
10) Change your furnace filter every month.
These are some great ideas to get you started. City Utilities of Springfield is currently offering rebates to it's clients to install smart thermostats and add insulation to their homes. Click here to check those out!
As the temperatures start to drop, I hope you can use these ideas to stay warm and save some money this year!
Tags: lower your utility bill, winter utility bill, city utilities of springfield, utility bill, keep utilities affordable, springfield mo utilities, increasing natural gas prices